(WC Sherman, who had been a member of the
Boston Fire Department, came to Orlando in 1883 and opened a jewelry
store. He at once organized a volunteer fire company and became its
first chief. Their first equipment was a hose, reel and a bucket
brigade, but in 1885 the men requested of the town council a horse,
harness and hose wagon)
19 years after the United States acquired the vast Florida territories
from Spain, the first American settlers started moving to the site of
what is now Orlando. In 1850, the new town was called Jernigan, after
Aaron Jernigan, a trader and early settler. In 1857, the name was
changed to Orlando, apparently in honor of Orlando Reeves, a soldier who
was killed in a battle with Seminole Indians.
In the late 1850's and
1860's, Central Florida was untamed land and occupied by Indians.
The town which was to become Orlando consisted of a few shacks and three
or four saloons. Cattle was the principle industry in the region.
fire-related injuries were recorded in the 1850s.
The first courthouse was built, it also served as a school and church.
Orlando became incorporated with a population of 85.
Orlando city limits were extended one mile in each direction from the
Orlando got its first railroad station
and the town's population of 200 began to grow rapidly.
It took a near disastrous fire to wake the town up to the need of fire
protection. Mrs. Basset, owner of a hat and dressmaking shop,
accidentally set fire to some flammable and explosive material in the
front part of her store. Mrs. Basset ran screaming in the street and men
came running from every direction. She had to be forcibly restrained
from re-entering the building to help in the rescue of her daughter. Two
men, P. Hyer and C. Graves rushed in and rescued the child.
This one incident inspired the citizens and WC Sherman started something
that very day.
William Sherman started the first volunteer fire
department, he was also named as their Fire Chief. This
organization consisted of only 6 members (WC Sherman, Ben Bartlett, Tom
Mann, J Walter Hosier, JW Gettier and Macy). Gettier, Macy and Sherman
are known as the Founding Fathers of the Orlando Fire Department. The
department grew rapidly to 12 members. Equipment consisted of a hose,
hose reel, bucket
brigade and painter’s ladder on a wagon
hauled around by hand.
January 12, marked the worst downtown
fire in Orlando’s history. The fire destroyed a large portion of the
Business District of Orlando. The Orange County Reporter newspaper plant
was completely destroyed along with DeLaneys Grocery Store, Bassett
Millinery Store and Drs. RJ Gillam, Ketcham & Gillam Drug Store.
This year marks the start of using fire plugs in the city by the
establishment of Waterworks at a cost of $2,000.00/year.
The population grew to 1,666, this year.
The Orlando Fire Department's organization was the result of two
significant events in 1884. The first was the major downtown fire, the
second was a series of articles written by EH Gore in the Orange County
Reporter. He wrote his concerns over the need for fire protection and
fires that had ravaged other Florida cities. This combination resulted
in the organization of the Orlando Fire Department in 1885.
John Weeks appointed the 1st official Fire Chief.
(WC Sweet was named first assistant). Orlando’s volunteer fire
“Orlando Hook and Ladder Company No. 1”
“Orlando Hose Company
In most of this year, three fire companies, evidently volunteer, were
organized, which were consolidated into one some time in July.
(On July 4th, the Orlando Hook and
Ladder Company received their "truck", and RL Hyer loaned them two
horses to draw it around the major streets of the town. The "old"
volunteer fire department joined the procession with their hose and
Mayor Matthew Marks
planted the first oak tree in a $500 beautification project that, twenty
years later, resulted in Orlando being nicknamed, "The City Beautiful"
William C. Sherman was appointed the 2nd Fire Chief.
1890 Approximately six
volunteer companies began using the name “Orlando Fire
the city's population had grown to 10,000 residents.
These were good times for the bustling community and its young promising
(Orlando Hose Cart Racing
Team-1890. They won 1st place in the Key West competition)
Mechanics Hose Co. #2 is now recorded as the Mechanics Hose and Engine
(Mechanics Hose Company
W. Gettier was appointed the 3rd Fire Chief.
All volunteer companies consolidated under “Mechanics Hose Company No.
1894 Things changed this year when "The Big Freeze" swept through
Central Florida, destroying acres of citrus groves. As thousands fled
the economic disaster, the population fell to below 2,481.
The railroad continued bringing people to
Orlando after that, but it would be another thirty years before the
population would rise to more than 10,000 again.
1896 George LeMoyne was awarded the contract for construction of the
first town hall. This
building consisted of a two-story
brick building on the north side of Oak (Wall) Street.
(In the rear of the building is a modern tower, thirty feet high, which
hung a bell with two ropes suspended, reaching the ground. When fire was
discovered, it was the duty of the person finding it to run to the
tower, grab both ropes and ring the bell until all able-bodied citizens
were awake and out for duty with blankets, ladders, and rope. About the
only water available was the well on Pine Street, immediately east of
Orange Avenue, and the well on Central Avenue on the courthouse grounds)
Orlando’s City Council purchased a
$5,000 fire engine from American-La-France Fire
Back to top of page
(Orlando Fire Department on Oak Street in
front of the firehouse/City Hall brick building)
One of the most outstanding fires of the early days was the Burden's
Arcade Hotel Building fire. A "baby" hurricane was blowing the night of
the charity ball. Firemen were attending the fashionable event in
evening clothes when the fire bell rang. the blaze consumed two
adjoining houses very quickly. Blazing shingles were blown a mile east
of town setting the pine woods on fire. Other red hot shingles ascended
high into the heavens and dropped hissing into Lake Eola. One fireman, H
Clark Robertson, almost lost his life. He, with a fire bucket, found
himself on the three-story frame hotel surrounded by flames. He jumped
through the fire and over the old-fashioned veranda railing. he made a
spectacular, safe landing on the ground below with all of his hair
burned off close to the scalp but otherwise uninjured. The old hotel,
which burned to the ground, was located at Robinson Street and Orange
William H. Matthews became 4th Fire Chief.
council began drafting and enacting ordinances.
1905 The old Southern Methodist Academy, built in 1884, caught on
fire and was badly damaged. It was replaced by a new brick school
building that later became City Hall. The site is presently the location
of Beardall Park.
1906 A fire started at the Lockart Lumber Mill. Strong winds drove
the fire throughout the lumber yard into a nearby freight depot igniting
several freight cars.
The Orlando Fire Department had just left to
attend the State Fireman's Competition in Tampa. When the fire alarm was
sounded, men volunteered to fight the fire, but some old hose was all
that was available to use against the raging inferno. The situation
worsened when the water utility company increased the pressure in the
water mains causing the old pipes to burst in the Marks Street area,
sending a flood down Orange Avenue. No water reached South Street where
it was desperately needed. Lockhart's Lumber Mill went up in smoke. The
freight depot and several freight cars of the Atlantic Coast Lines
Railroad were also consumed in the blaze. Mr. Lockhart had no insurance
and the fire loss was $50,000.
OFD had five fire horses to pull fire wagons.
("Fannie and Joe" were the
first team horses and "Torro and Martina" were another)
William Dean became 5th Fire Chief.
1910 Under Fire Chief Dean, OFD bought an automobile and turned it
into a combination chemical car and Chief’s car.
The city's population was approximately 3,894.
OFD received new motorized fire trucks, replacing horse-drawn wagons.
(American LaFrance Engine No.1)
On March 25th,
firehouse #1 moved from
Oak (Wall) Street when it opened the new firehouse #1 on 19 N Main
Street (corner of Magnolia and Wall Street). The total cost of the station was
$17,708. The old station was abandoned.
(Station #1 personnel; Late 1920)
The city's population grew to 9,282.
1921 The city boasted an elegant new movie theatre on Orange
Avenue, the 1,200-seat Beacham costing $200,000.
A change in the 10-14 hour, two-platoon system was initiated around this
time. The shifts would alternate once a week on Saturday instead of
every two weeks. A shift would work 24 hours on duty one Saturday and
then would be off 24 the next Saturday to accommodate this shift change.
The city purchased Tinker Field and the
OFD became a fully paid department under Mayor Duckworth. Chief Dean was
the first paid Fire Chief, he was in his 16th year of office as Fire
Chief and paid $100.00 per month.
firehouse #2 was built and
in service on Parramore and Central
firehouse #3 was built and
The city's population reached 27,330 according to the 1930 census.
1935 An Act was passed by the Legislature of the State creating
Civil Service status for policemen and firemen. The Orlando Civil
Service Board was born.
(OFD, 1935 at Station #1)
Gideon Dean was appointed the 6th
The Ladies’ State Auxiliary was created this year.
1937 OFD was authorized to answer calls outside the City
limits, but only if lives and property were endangered - this marks the
beginning of mutual aid agreements. A Communications radio
room was constructed on the southeast side of Orlando.
Fire Chief William Dean was laid to rest on January 24th. He
was Fire Chief from 1908-1936, he was a member of the department from
its earliest days. Newspaper articles at the time of his death note,
"...A quiet unassuming man, Orlando probably owes as much to his careful
persistent effort to reduce the fire hazards as to any other man who has
lived in Orlando during this time."
Apparatus and Equipment on Display
in Downtown Orlando
Fire Department received a certificate for national recognition among
cities of its class for distinguished work in fire prevention from the
U.S. Department of Commerce in June 1944. This was a major
accomplishment because it occurred in an era when the fire service was
primarily oriented toward field operations on a national basis.1940
Maxie G. Bennett was appointed the 7th Fire Chief.
Firefighter Roger Corum was the first member of
the Orlando Fire Department killed in the line of duty. He died when his
apparatus struck a tree after another
vehicle struck his
1946 OFD received its first rescue boat, donated by the Elks Club.
approval from the City Commission was received
for the first
radio communications system. The Frequency modulation Transmitter and
necessary equipment were approved by the Federal Communications
commission in Wash, D.C.
1949 Turbulent times came to the Orlando Fire Department
from 1949 through 1952. After the removal of Fire Chief Maxie G Bennett,
the Assistant Chief Loy Davis was acting Fire Chief for three years, but
was never officially the Fire Chief. Therefore, he is not included in
the men who held the office of Fire Chief of the Orlando Fire
Department. Davis returned to the position of Assistant Chief when Fire
Chief Paul Pennington was appointed in 1953 by Mayor J. Rolfe Davis.
Orlando's population had grew to 51,826.
(firehouse No.1, 19 North Main
Paul Pennington was appointed the 8th Fire Chief.
Orlando’s Civil Service Board announced the beginning of entrance
examinations in the
police and fire departments.
eligible, the applicants must be residents of the City at least a year
and be between the ages of 21 and 30. Only white males are eligible for
the fire department. Both White and Negro males are eligible for the
(The preceding excerpt appeared in
an article printed by the Orlando Sentinel. The racial eligibility
requirements would remain in force for another fifteen years before
black applicants would be permitted employment in the Orlando Fire
1954 Work hours dropped from 84 to 72 hours per week.
Firefighters of Florida were seeking legislative support for a bill
regulating the hours of work for firemen. The proposed act would limit
the maximum number of duty hours to 120 in any two calendar weeks.
Orlando's firefighters were working an 84-hour work week, while many of
the South's larger cities were on 60-hour work weeks. In the majority of
Pacific Coast cities, the maximum was 56-hours or less. New York City,
Columbus, Ohio, and Flint, Michigan, were on 48-hour work weeks.
The department was up to its full strength of 60 trained men.
The Orlando City
Council raised salaries for firefighters. The raises recommended by Fire
Chief Paul Pennington were:
from $435.00 to $460.00
from $352.50 to $365.00
from $320.00 to $350.00
from $300.00 to $350.00
from $305.00 to $325.00
from $290.00 to $300.00
from $255.00 to $260.00
Two new firehouses were opened, their cost was $90,000 each.
firehouse #4 and
(Pictures taken in 1970s)
The 60-room Avalon
Hotel on North Orange Avenue was swept by fire in a spectacular blaze
that brought out the City's entire firefighting force. All three Orlando
Fire Department companies answered the alarm. Winter Park, Orlando Air
Force Base and Holden Heights departments sent men and equipment. The
thirty year old brick and wood hotel was a favorite for traveling
salesmen. On the night of the fire, nine guests were aroused by hotel
employees and two Orlando Patrolmen after the blaze was discovered by a
Sentinel employee who was enroute home from work. Although the fire on
the first floor was confined almost entirely to the liquor store, none
of the operators of four ground floor businesses were able to take any
of their merchandise to safety. Along with the liquor store, there was a
drugstore, a restaurant and a rug shop. The blaze raged for over four
hours and water damage from fire hose was extensive. Firemen confined
the blaze to the hotel building by watering down frame houses to the
rear and a one-story block building to the south. With only one aerial
ladder in operation, firemen were forced to climb atop of an adjoining
house, owned by the same company, to put water on the roof of the
building. However, Fire Chief Pennington said he did not think he could
have brought the blaze under control any sooner with an additional
ladder truck. From the third floor, the building appeared as if a giant
bomb had scored a direct hit.
June 29th, the
Orlando Sentinel reported that the Orlando Civil Service Board placed
thirteen men on the fire department eligibility list to provide manpower
for two new stations. those approved for the fire department were:
E Osteen, 27
Harold P Matthews, 27
George C Bookhardt, 22
Freddie E Law, 24
C Calhoun, 22
C Deffenbaugh, 26
Rayford G Farless, Jr, 24
F Burns, 21
1956 The Orlando Fire Department received 713 calls, traveled
3,014 miles within the City, spent 359 hours fighting fires and fire
losses totaled in excess of $300,000.
Orlando firemen organized Local No. 1365 of the
International Association of Fire Fighters.
1962 The work week dropped to 66 2/3 hours with one-half Kelly days.
The third shift was established on a 56-hour work week.
Old firehouse #2 was demolished on Parramore and Central and new
firehouse #2 was built
on same site.
OFD moved into its new McCoy Jetport Facility,
firehouse #8. This station
was constructed beside the eastern runway. The Department also added one
Class A Triple-Combination Seagrave Pumper, 1,000 GPM with Special Foam
Manpower totaled 172.
Melvin Rivenbark was appointed the 9th Fire Chief.
First black firemen hired by OFD.
strong sprinkler ordinance was implemented.
firehouses #7built the
early part of 1968 and was dedicated and in service September.
built and in service.
1969 29 year old, Probationary
John Lewkowicz was killed at South and Parramore enroute to
Asst. Chief G. Calvin Bookhardt lost his life at a fire scene
and Bookhardt Memorial Park on West Central was later named after him.
firehouse #3 was rebuilt at it's new site in College Park,
newsletter, Firelines, was
Delta Burke was
crowned Miss Flame.
S. Parker became 10th Fire Chief.
firehouse #10 was
dedicated and in service.
firehouse #11 was
dedicated and in service. It would be 20 years before another OFD
firehouse is built.
OFDs service area
increased to 66 square miles.
OFD had 27 pieces of apparatus and 350 personnel.
Firefighters went to a 42-hour week.
Firefighters Local Union - 1365 and City of Orlando negotiated for a
contract - marking the first time the City bargained with a Labor Union.
firehouses #10 and #11 opened. New station #3 was built in College
ISO rating improved from 4 to 3.
OFDs administrative offices moved from
Station #1 to MJB, 100 S. Hughey Ave.
The Training Academy moved from Station #6 to the Orlando Jetport.
OFDs computer system went on-line after two years of planning.
OFD begins the first Paramedic program.
E. “Gene” Reynolds became 11th Fire Chief.
The Orlando Fire Department began providing Advanced Life Support
The Training Academy came under the jurisdiction of the Orlando-Orange
Fire Training Academy.
separated from the City of Orlando and became GOAAs Fire Department.
The Ladies’ State Auxiliary was created in 1936 and OFD began their
Auxiliary in 1977. Their canteen service was created to serve hot or
cold drinks to firefighters at major fires or disasters.
firehouse #3 was moved
to Loch Haven Park and leased to the Orange County Historical
The first annual “Fire vs. Fuzz” football game was played between OFD
and OPD, with OFD winning 33-6.
OFD Fireground Command SOP's were
published by the Training Division under Assistant Chief Charlie
The Training Academy's 5-story training
tower was completed at the OOFTA. The cost was $140,000.
Station #6’s new station was
built on E. Robinson to replace the one at Herndon Airport.
To improve accuracy
in gathering emergency incident data, the National Fire Incident
Reporting System was implemented.
The Public Education Division initiated the
Junior Fire Marshal Program.
Orange County and Orlando Fire
Departments began negotiations for a Joint Response
The Orlando Fire Department changed its name to the Orlando Fire and
Rescue Department (after one year it was changed back).
OFD Explorer Post was established in
with the Boy Scouts of America.
All dispatchers and supervisors in the Communications Section became EMS
1981-Dispatchers Hattaway and
female firefighters were hired; Suzie Paxton (retired 2002 as
Lieutenant) and Kathy Johnston
(retired 2007 as Deputy
The Hazmat Van was placed in service along with the new dive van, mini
tower and public education van.
After a history of traditionally red apparatus,
to red &
OFD began planning fire protection for MetroWest.
The Data Processing Section
was established for daily input
of all emergency response data.
Staff & Line moved into its
new facility at 800 W. Gore.
Combat shift schedule changed from 42 hours to 49.8 hours
on/48 off) per week.
A robot named “Spinner” (a walking/ talking fire hydrant) was
purchased for the Public Education Division for fire safety education.
Back to top of page
Arson/Bomb Squad was formed
at OFD, along with one OPD officer, to conduct a
investigation into arson and bomb cases. When the OPD officer retired in
Arson/Bomb Squad became staffed entirely by OFD.
Fire Prevention implemented the
Lock Box program.
Fire Museum opened in Loch Haven Park. Old
firehouse #3 had
been moved to this location in 1978 and leased to the Orange County
Orlando is now a thriving metropolis, population 143,000.
Station #9 was relocated to
the Rosemont area at S. Lake Orlando Parkway and Mercy.
ISO rating went from 3 to 2.
Charlie Lewis was appointed the 12th Fire Chief.
Emergency Medical Dispatcher
Fees were established for excessive false
alarms and for
OFD accepted a mobile home trailer from Universal Studios and
rebuilt it, designing it to educate grade school children in fire
OFD began to offer ALS coverage from
OFD Administrative. Offices moved from MJB to the newly built City Hall,
400 S. Orange Avenue.
1992 1st OFD yearbook
published with new editions published approximately every 5 years.
A. Bowman was appointed the 13th Fire Chief.
The Citizens Fire Academy
began; the Community
Emergency Response Team
(CERT) program also began.
The OPD officer retired from the
the Special Investigative Services Division became staffed entirely by
Station #12 was established,
a temporary trailer was placed in the future site, housing one Rescue
An Annexation Fire
Protection Agreement with Orange County Fire Department was
signed to provide joint fire protection services for the Lake Nona area.
A Mutual Aid Response
Agreement was signed with area fire
The Learn-Not-To-Burn Program was
placed in all Orlando
Emergency Management Section
established for planning, responding, and recovering from
The Neighborhood Emergency Training
(NET) program began.
Preemption System was installed in major
The Plans Review
Section was integrated with other City
Departments’ permitting sections to form
on the first floor of City Hall.
Donald W. Harkins was appointed the 14th
Station #12 was opened in the
MetroWest area; a temporary trailer had been used since
Appointed the first female Assistant Chief
in department history
Appointed the first Hispanic Assistant Chief in department history
A new SmartNet 800MHz advanced
trunking radio system in
Communications was installed.
Elderlinks Program began to allow OFD to interact daily with
the community’s elderly
citizens. In this program, OFD can
link seniors with appropriate community service
they are in need of help.
OFD publishes 2nd yearbook.
The first Technical Rescue Unit (TR-6)
was put in service.
All operations personnel were issued
Honor Guard was reinstated.
The first official flag was designed and accepted by OFD.
One million dollars was spent to replace firefighters’ protective
equipment with state of the art protective clothing and Scott 4.5
apparatus with integrated PASS
$80,000 was used to purchase and upgrade fitness equipment for all
Training and EMS were merged into a single
Thermal imaging cameras were placed
in-service on all Tower Apparatus.
Increased ALS fleet to include all Engines, Rescues, and Towers.
There was reorganization -
one Deputy Chief position was
eliminated and new Assistant Chiefs positions were
head the Special Operations and Planning & Resource Management
The first accelerated Paramedic Program was completed, with 15 new
certified in seven months.
The Naval Training Center Fire Department disbanded, resulting from the
closing of the
NTC base and the City of Orlando assumed full
responsibility for fire protection at both
Tower #11 was upgraded to a
full service Tower Apparatus.
A new fleet
of medium-duty Rescue Units was ordered.
A new graphics and warning package for the
new Suburban was
Rescue #8 was put into
OFD produced a new video of its services.
Southport becomes Orlando’s first fully sprinklered single-family
100 sets of Nomex Wildland firefighting
gear were purchased.
Obtained State Licensure for ALS pre-hospital ground transport.
Reinstituted dress uniforms for all ranks.
Initiated Tactical Medic Program to train and equip Paramedics to be
part of OPD's SWAT team.
Expanded Immunization Program to
Health Check Program, to provide monthly health screening in
high-rise apartments, flu shots and immunizations, targeting the City's
elderly population who are unable to mobilize to various locations.
Agreement negotiated with
Southeast property owners to
require residential sprinklers as part of the land
development code. Agreement also reached to utilize residential fire
sprinklers in NTC
Replaced Arson/Bomb van and robot.
Charlie Walker was appointed the 15th Fire Chief.
firehouse #13 is placed in
Dr. Ragan Vandegriff
served over 20 years as Chaplain of OFD.
Published 3rd OFD yearbook.
OFD hired first female Fire Marshal.
EMS Bike Team put in service.
Purchased AVL and CAD System.
Obtained $183,000 of facility improvements at firehouses, including
commercial dishwashers and 13 additional computers.
The Training Division added a full-time Quality Assurance Program and
Manager, Recruiting Lieutenant and Firefighter, and a Training Officer.
OFD took over the
Fire Museum, original OFD
firehouse #3, at Loch Haven
OFD hired its first Planner.
In October, an Anti-Terrorism Task Force was activated.
USAR 1 (Urban Search and Rescue unit) was placed into service.
Engine #14 placed into
service at firehouse #8 to cover new eastern annexed area of the city
until firehouse #14 is completed in 2003.
Tower #9 placed in service.
Robert A. Bowman was appointed the 16th Fire Chief.
was constructed and in service with one Engine.
2004 OFD begins changing
colors of apparatus to red & black, with gold lettering.
SOP manual undergoes complete revision
under Assistant Chief John Miller.
In June, the
FireFit Kids pilot program was implemented in four community
centers, with the goal to place the program into all Middle schools by
OFD adopted the IAFC/IAFF fitness
program, also known as Peer Fitness. This program was developed as
a national standard through a joint effort between the IAFC/IAFF and ACE
(American Exercise Council). The program is designed to evaluate
and improve overall wellness of firefighters and to help them to better
prepare for the physical demands related to their job.
Orlando Firefighters Pipes & Drums
(OFP&D) was formed by a group of OFD personnel, organized be Eng. Mike
Stallings. In December, the OFP&D performed for the first time at
the Florida Citrus Bowl parade in downtown Orlando.
On May 7, 2005 the Orlando Fire
Department celebrated its 120-year anniverssary at the
Orlando Fire Museum.
October 1, the Orlando Fire Prevention
Rally was held in conjunction with the re-launch of the Orlando Fire
Museum and the first annual Firefighter Chili Cook-Off.
4th edition of the OFD yearbook
Reynolds was appointed the 17th Fire Chief.
In March OFD began a 2-year accreditation
process with the Commission of Fire Accreditation. Once
accredited, a fire service agency must be recertified every 5 years.
A commission was formed to determine if combining the Orange County Fire
Rescue Division and the Orlando Fire Department would be feasible.
In May, the City of Orlando and Orange County Consolidation Committee me
and final conclusions and recommendations were accepted from the
fire/rescue subcommittee in favor of not consolidating.
The second Pub Ed safety house was purchased with a grant from the
Department of Homeland Security, approved by Council on 09/18/06.
This safety house includes:
- a tornado and hurricane
- stove top burners and burning
trash cans for kitchen fire safety demos
- heated doors with smoke coming
from underneath to simulate fire conditions
- shaking mini blinds/simulated
lightning and blackout shades
- two 15,000 BTU air conditioning
- a 24" television with DVD/VCR
player and five speaker sound system for presentations
September 13th, groundbreaking for
Firehouse #15 in Lake Nona. McCree
Construction - architect and builder. Placed in service August 25,
September 16th, groundbreaking for
Firehouse #17 in Millenia. McCree
Construction - architect and builder. Facility will be operational
December 14th, groundbreaking for
Firehouse #16 in Mudd Lake. McCree
Construction - architect and builder. Facility will be operational
Announcement of a new
Firehouse #1 to be located at 78 W.
Central. The new facility will be the lower 3 floors of a 9 story
high-rise and service as the new headquarters for the Orlando Fire
Department. Wharton-Smith, Inc. and Schweizer Waldroff Architects,
Inc. - architect and build team. Facility expected to be
operational March 2009.
2007 Firehouse #15, with Engine 15 and Woods 15, placed
in service on August 25th.
In March, construction began on a
permanent building for Firehouse #14,
located at the same address. McCree Construction - architect and
builder. Facility will be operational November 2007.
In August, the EMS Division began
training and certifying all OFD paramedics in PALS (Pediatric Advanced
Life Support). This is an American Heart Association course
similar to ACLS, but focuses on pediatric patients.
2008 New Firehouse 7 was built.
Located at 601 Goldwyn Ave. It houses Engine 7, Tower 7 (Replaced Tower
2), and Rescue 7.
2009 New Firehouse 1 opened on
was appointed the 18th Fire Chief of the Orlando Fire Department by
Mayor Buddy Dyer.
Back to top of page